My name is Koen van der Gaag, I am an enthusiastic ICT professional who is always looking for a challenge. I live in the Netherlands, in the South-Holland province to be more precise. I’m a allround sysadmin for living, at the moment I’m working for a non ICT company with around 50 employee’s.
My hobby’s are mostly ICT and tech related. .
Besides fun projects I also like (and play around with) VR, 3d printing and CNC milling.
At work, my primary role is to maintain and expand the company’s Citrix Solution, which consists of a number of Xenapp servers, a number of Xendesktop VDI’s, Storefront servers, Netscalers and the necessary infrastructure.
The “necessary infrastructure” mostly consists of: storage, servers, more servers, end-user devices, printers, scanners, etc.
My day to day activities are very diverse, they mostly consist of a combination of the following
- Maintaining storage solutions, both simple Windows, Linux and NAS(Qnap, Synology) based systems and smaller enterprise SAN(HP) systems;
- Maintaining Windows and Linux Servers (Hypervisors, Storage, application servers, etc.);
- Maintaining a wide variety of desktop and mobile OSes (Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android, IOS);
- Scripting (Python, Bash, Batch), software development (small programs: C# Vb.net, Python), web development (websites/apps: PHP, My/Ms SQL, JS, CSS, HTML);
- Networking (subnetting, routing, link aggregation, VLANS, firewall’s, NAT);
- Supporting end users;;
- other ICT related stuff (maintaining printers/scanners, mobile telephony contract management, license management, etc.).
Besides maintaining the Infrastructure and supporting end users with there ICT problems, I have worked (and am working on) a number of projects. some examples are:
- Designing and implementing a new storage solution consisting of a total raw capacity of 90TB including backup’s (not a lot of storage, its a small company);
- Planning and implementing a number of Citrix (Xenapp/Xendesktop/Netscaler, etc.) migrations/upgrades (mostly version increases but also restructuring the infrastructure, migrating to new hardware, etc.);;
- Developing a number of small applications, web-applications and websites to improve various systems/workflows in the company. For example:
- An application which fills number of excel spreadsheets with accounting data, this used to be done by hand and it saves the company around 4 hours a month;
- A system which allows employee’s to reset passwords for various applications using there mobile phone, this saves me a lot of calls during the summer holiday’s;
- A web-application which enables users to turn the lighting on and of for the various parts of the company, by clicking the corresponding parts on a floor-plan (we used to have a Windows XP based system with buttons, but no one understood the labels, then the system broke and I had to rebuild it anyway because the support on Windows XP had ended);
- Designing, planning and implementing a DMS, CRM and CMS for internal use.